John DUNN was born on 14 March 1843 in Shelby, Cleveland County, North Carolina. He was
the fourth of eleven children of Samuel Marion DUNN and Julia Ann BLANTON.
John married Sarah Jane SWATZEL on 4 February 1877, in Albany, Greene County, Tennessee. Sarah was born on 16 December 1855 in Greene County, Tennessee, and was the daughter of William H. SWATZEL and Julia Ann BLANTON.
Sarah was John’s second wife; his first marriage was to Anna BABB on 15 January 1866. Anna died on 4 November 1876, and is buried in Babb’s Valley Cemetery in Greene County, Tennessee.
John and Sarah raised twelve children of their own, as well as three children from his previous marriage to Anna.
Children of John and Anna:
- William P. DUNN, born 23 July 1867 in Greene County, Tennessee; died 1923.
· James J. DUNN, born 16 February 1872 in Tennessee.
· Abselem Thomas DUNN, born 18 October 1876 in Greene County, Tennessee; died 14 February 1940 in Greene County, Tennessee. Abselem married 1) Sophia BABB, and 2) Mary Elva BALL.Children of John and Sarah:
· Samuel Marion DUNN, born 21 November 1877, in Greene County, Tennessee; died 5 June 1955, Urbana, Illinois. Samuel married 1) Rebecca WEEMS, 2) Jennie Mae KNIGHT.
· Julia Ann DUNN, born 11 August 1878, in Newmansville, Greene County, Tennessee; died 8 May 1957, Colton, San Bernardino, California. Julia married Andrew Johnson HALL on 13 September 1902.
· Georgie Florence DUNN, born 9 November 1880, in Greene County, Tennessee; died 1881, in Tennessee.
· John Walter DUNN, born 3 May 1882, in Greene County, Tennessee; died 13 February 1952, Bristol, Virginia. John married Lula Mae MUMPOWER.
· Charles Edy DUNN, born 9 October 1885, in Greene County, Tennessee; died 14 October 1887, in Greene County, Tennessee.
· Nina Josephine DUNN, born 6 January 1888, in Tennessee; died 9 February 1936, in Riverside, California. Nina married James O. PATTERSON.
· Bertie Charlotte DUNN, born 9 November 1891, in Greene County, Tennessee; died 27 March 1917, in Greene County, Tennessee.
· Mary Barton DUNN, born 30 November 1889, in Tennessee; died 3 March 1891, in Tennessee.
· Dolly Myrtle DUNN, born15 January 1894, in Greenville, Greene County, Tennessee; died 11 February 1979, in Loma Linda, California. Dolly married Harry Franklin WHITE.
· Jodie Lee DUNN, born 5 May 1896, in Newmansville, Greene County, Tennessee; died 13 May 1925, in Greene County, Tennessee. Jodie married David Clark SAULSBURY.
· Bonnie Lucille DUNN, born 30 April 1898, in Greene County, Tennessee; died 30 March 1979, in Tennessee. Bonnie married Wilis James HOLT.
· Reba Clyde DUNN, born 17 May 1901, in Greene County, Tennessee; died 4 August 1987, in Pasco, Franklin County, Washington. She married Isaac Lee SWANAY on 2 October 1917. Reba and Isaac are buried in Olivewood Cemetery in Riverside, California.Like his father Samuel, John was a shoemaker by trade. But at the age of 19, John enlisted as a Private in Co. K, 1st Tennessee Cavalry, from 12 July 1862 until 5 June 1865. He was captured in Newnan, Georgia, on 31 July 1864, and held at Andersonville Prison. Fortunately, he was one of the lucky survivors who made it out alive, unlike his father-in-law William Swatzel. John served in this unit with his father and brother Philip. All three filed for pensions.
On 15 September 1915, John died in Afton, Greene County, Tennessee. He is buried in Union
Temple Cemetery in Greene County, Tennessee. Sarah died on 18 July 1921, and is buried next to her husband.
John Dunn’s WikiTree Profile: http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Dunn-5467
Contributor’s Genealogy Blog: Heart of the Family https://www.thefamilyheart.com